Wanderers: A Short Film

OK, this short film from Erik Wernquist, which leverages the voice of the late Carl Sagan, is just plain cool. You need to watch it, you really do.

Here’s how Erik describes his project:

Wanderers is a vision of humanity’s expansion into the Solar System, based on scientific ideas and concepts of what our future in space might look like, if it ever happens. The locations depicted in the film are digital recreations of actual places in the Solar System, built from real photos and map data where available.

Without any apparent story, other than what you may fill in by yourself, the idea of the film is primarily to show a glimpse of the fantastic and beautiful nature that surrounds us on our neighboring worlds – and above all, how it might appear to us if we were there.

Mesmerizing stuff. For more information (and links to still pictures), see Erik’s article.

This entry was posted in Film, Science, Science Fiction and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback.

7 Comments

1. Posted December 16, 2014 at 7:43 PM | Permalink

This was terrific. I watched it a couple times. Thanks David. You quote the creator saying “The locations depicted in the film are digital recreations of actual places in the Solar System.” I think this is most compelling for me. It’s easy to create some strange world with crazy colors and life. But that icy moon with Jupiter rising, it’s so real. And there’s nothing separating us but empty space!

— John

2. Posted December 16, 2014 at 9:12 PM | Permalink

I just enjoyed the visuals, music and voice of Carl Sagan. Sadly, I realized how much I missed him. The visuals remind us all why we write. We are wanderers who mentally sojourn around and off our planet. I know I will watch this short many more times. Thank you, David.

3. Posted December 17, 2014 at 3:51 PM | Permalink

I know, I miss Sagan too. I re-watched the original Cosmos series in 2011. It holds up well. Sagan was so eloquent. It’s a shame he’s gone. No one yet has really filled his shoes.

4. Posted December 17, 2014 at 8:52 PM | Permalink

So true–MEG

5. Posted December 22, 2014 at 9:10 PM | Permalink

Yeah. This was a very cool video. But even more than that, if you follow the link to the creator’s site, he’s posted a bunch of the full size graphic images from the video. They’re perfect for wall paper, or just enjoying the images.

Truly gorgeous images….

6. Talore Hillton
    Posted November 25, 2015 at 11:55 AM | Permalink

Thank you so much for reminding the world of what is within its grasp. One day humanity will harness its energy and resources to seizing what our outer world has to offer instead of draining the world of not just lives and resources, but robbing it of human intellect that will propel us to a better place.

• Posted November 25, 2015 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

Thanks Talore. I still go back and watch this video every now and again. Partly because it’s so gorgeous, partly because it’s truly inspirational…and partly because I’m trying to figure out how I can incorporate some of those scenes into a story.